Re: [Linux-cluster] Using ping as a heuristic not a great idea?

--- On Thu, 5/20/10, Dustin Henry Offutt <dhoffutt gmail com> wrote:

From: Dustin Henry Offutt <dhoffutt gmail com>
Subject: Re: [Linux-cluster] Using ping as a heuristic not a great idea?
To: "linux clustering" <linux-cluster redhat com>
Date: Thursday, May 20, 2010, 9:42 AM

Same experience.

In addition, best practice is to make the quorum partition its own physical disk, and admittedly this is not best practice, but instead took a slice of SAN RAID so as not to waste a whole precious disk plus one for mirroring for what is essentially a 20MB partition - and fibre traffic would upset Qdiskd's vote.

Again, what I was doing was not best practice, and if a qdisk partition is needed it's definitely worth the two physical disks.

In conclusion, no, I wouldn't use ping heuristics.
what if you use a dedicated and separated network for cluster communication (and heuristic)
transferring a big file over the data interfaces should not make any effect in the internal network

even a crossover cable could/should help here

and you should have a very slow switch/network if by transferring a single file, although big, make you lose ping packages

thanks
roger