[Linux-cluster] Starter Cluster / GFS

Nicolas Ross rossnick-lists at cybercat.ca
Wed Nov 10 19:32:21 UTC 2010

> We had to make similar changes to our application.
>
> Avoid allowing two (or more) hosts to create small files in the same
> shared directory within a GFS filesystem.  That particular case scales
> poorly with GFS.
>
> If you can partition things so that two hosts will never create files in
> the same directory (we used a per-host directory structure for our
> application), or perhaps direct all write operations to one host while
> other hosts only read from GFS, it should perform well.

Ok, I see. Our applications will read/write into its own directory most of
the time. In the rare cases when it'll be possible that 2 nodes read/writes
to the same directory, it'll be for php sessions files. If we ever need to
reach to this stage, we'll have to make a custom session handler to put them
into a central memcached or something else...