[Linux-cluster] Starter Cluster / GFS

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Thu Nov 11 10:46:25 UTC 2010

Jankowski, Chris wrote:
> Gordan,
>
> I did not ask for bonding.  This should work.  I asked for
> multiple independent links - different networking interfaces
> configured for different IP subnets mapping to different VLANS.
 >
> STP is, these days, run on a per VLAN basis. Having multiple
> links in different VLANs protects against important classes of
> network failures.  Bonded interface does not do it. This must
> be integrated in the clustering software.

I don't quite see the point you're making. If your goal is redundant
networking, then you can achieve that by having bonded interfaces in
each node, and each of the components of the bonded interface should go
to a different switch. That will give you both extra bandwidth and a
redundant path between all the nodes, which will ensure you don't end up
with a partitioned cluster.

Gordan