[Linux-cluster] Starter Cluster / GFS

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Thu Nov 11 16:48:50 UTC 2010

On 10-11-11 04:04 AM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> Digimer wrote:
>>> I've never tried testing that use-case extensively, but I suspect that
>>> it is only safe to do with SAN-side fencing. Otherwise two nodes could
>>> lose contact with each other and still both have access to the SAN and
>>> thus both be individually quorate.
>>>
>>> Gordan
>>
>> Clustered storage *requires* fencing. To not use fencing is like driving
>> tired; It's just a matter of time before something bad happens. That
>> said, I should have been more clear in specifying the requirement for
>> fencing.
>>
>> Now that said, the fencing shouldn't be needed at the SAN side, though
>> that works fine as well.
>
> The default fencing action, last time I checked, is reboot. Consider the
> use case where you have a network failure and separate networks for
> various things, and you lose connectivity between the nodes but they
> both still have access to the SAN. One node gets fenced, reboots, comes
> up and connects to the SAN. It connects to the quorum device and has
> quorum without the other nodes, and mounts the file systems and starts
> writing - while all the other nodes that have become partitioned off do
> the same thing. Unless you can fence the nodes from the SAN side, quorum
> device having a 50% weight is a recipe for disaster.

Agreed, and that is one of the major benefits of qdisk. It prevents a
50/50 split. Regardless though, say you have an eight node cluster and
it partitions evenly with no qdisk to tie break. In that case, neither
partition has >50% of the votes, so neither should have quorum. In turn,
neither should touch the SAN.

This is because DLM is required for clustered file systems, and DLM in
turn requires quorum. Without quorum, DLM won't run and you will not be
able to touch the SAN. :)

>> The way it works is:
> [...]
>
> I'm well aware of how fencing works, but you overlooked one major
> failure mode that is essentially guaranteed to hose your data if you set
> up the quorum device to have 50% of the votes.

See above. 50% is not quorum.

>> With SAN-side fencing, a fence is in the form of a logic disconnection
>> from the storage network. This has no inherent mechanism for recovery,
>> so the sysadmin will have to manually recover the node(s). For this
>> reason, I do not prefer it.
>
> Then don't use a quorum device with more than an equal weight to the
> individual nodes.
>
> Gordan

How does the number of nodes relate, in this case, to the SAN-side fence
recovery?

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer at alteeve.com