[Linux-cluster] Starter Cluster / GFS

Nicolas Ross rossnick-lists at cybercat.ca
Fri Nov 19 12:05:19 UTC 2010

> Is this the storage you are sharing between the nodes? If so, how exactly
> are you doing it?
>
> Also, you do realize that you don't have to use LVM at all? It is entirely
> optional.

Yes, that if for the shared gfs between the node. What we've decided to use
is 2 raid-1 sets of 1 tb (2 disk each), added to a single vg of 2 tb. Other
raid sets will be mounted on a per-node and per service basis.

I know I can make a gfs on a standard partion, but to make a larger than the
disk volume, I need either raid or lvm. Lvm adds also the ability to add
space later.

> What version of RHEL are you using? Early versions of RHEL5 had GFS2
> lock-up issues like you're describing. IIRC, GFS2 was only considered
> stable from around RHEL 5.5 (technology-preview-only in earlier versions
> of RHEL). Try with GFS1, it's a lot more mature.

I am currently using RHEL6 beta, while waiting for centos 6 to be out in a
couple of weeks. I dont' think gfs1 is included with rhel6.