[Linux-cluster] Gfs2 Problem

Steven Whitehouse swhiteho at redhat.com
Mon Sep 27 15:52:26 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Mon, 2010-09-27 at 17:30 +0200, Marcello Percoco - Diennea wrote:
> Hallo.
>

> We have a 3 node cluster, with a shared Gfs2 used by our application.
>
> Evry day all the 3 machines get stuck, in the dmesg i see many “task
> hang…” with a stack trace referign to dlm and Gfs2 (i didin’t have a
> trace to post now, but next time i add it to the mail).

That would be helpful in tracking down the cause. Also a lock dump would
be useful too (you need debugfs mounted somewhere).

> The application write and delete many lock file, but every lock file
> had is own directory.

So it is unlikely to be directory lock contention then, it seems.

> Whath could be the problem?

There are a lot of possible causes. Without the traces it is very tricky
to narrow it down. I think you are looking in the right area though.

> Our Gfs2 had 512Mb journals, is this a good idea or not?

That sounds like a lot. It won't hurt though and I very much doubt that
is related to the hangs.

The key is to figure out whether the problem is actually a hang or
whether it is just being slow. If you can get two lock dumps from a node
that is having problems, say a minute or two apart, that should tell you
that vital information,

Steve.