[Linux-cluster] EFI in CLVM

Paras pradhan pradhanparas at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 17:41:38 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 10:13 AM, Jonathan Barber
<jonathan.barber at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13 August 2011 04:24, Paras pradhan <pradhanparas at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Alan,
> > Its a FC SAN.
> > Here is multipath -v2 -ll output and looks good .
> > --
> > mpath13 (360060e8004770d000000770d000003e9) dm-28 HITACHI,OPEN-V*4
> > [size=2.0T][features=1 queue_if_no_path][hwhandler=0][rw]
> > \_ round-robin 0 [prio=2][active]
> >  \_ 5:0:1:7 sdt 65:48 [active][ready]
> >  \_ 6:0:1:7 sdu 65:64 [active][ready]
> > ---
> >
> > If I don't make an entire LUN a PV, I think I would then need partitions. Am
> > i right? and you think this will reduce the speed penalty?
>
> The (possible) speed penalty with a partition + LVM is because the
> blocks in the LVM/filesystem aren't aligned with the blocks in the
> storage system. So when you write a block in the the OS, the storage
> system has to write to two blocks. You can overcome this by manually
> aligning the partitions with the underlying storage.
>
> You can also just not use any partitions/LVM and write the filesystem
> directly to the block device... But I'd just stick with using LVM.

Here is what I have noticed though I should have done few more tests.
iozone o/p with partitions (test size is 100MB)
-
"Output is in Kbytes/sec"
"  Initial write "  265074.94
"        Rewrite "  909962.61
"           Read " 1872247.78
"        Re-read " 1905471.81
"   Reverse Read " 1316265.03
"    Stride read " 1448626.44
"    Random read " 1119532.25
" Mixed workload "  922532.31
"   Random write "  749795.80
--

without partitions:
"Output is in Kbytes/sec"

> If you want to create a LV that uses all of the space on a VG, you can use:
> # lvcreate -l 100%FREEVG -n $NAME $VGNAME
>
> Do you see the same problem if you create the LV without CLVMD
> running? This thread suggests it's possible to stop clvmd whilst the
> cluster is running:
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-cluster/2008-November/msg00151.html
>
> If you run "lvcreate -ddddddd -vvv ..." do you see any useful messages?

I got this locking problem resolved after rebooting all the nodes .
What I have noticed is after adding a LUN, under /dev/mpath instead of
wwid i was seeing as:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Aug 9 17:30 mpath13 -> ../dm-28

After reboot

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Aug 15 17:53
360060e8004770d000000770d000003e9 -> ../dm-9

So whats is going not I am not sure. Looks like the issue with
automatic dmsetup?

Thanks
Paras.