[Linux-cluster] GFS2 Consistency...

Adam Drew adrew at redhat.com
Wed Dec 21 15:09:46 UTC 2011

> Hi,
>
> We are having an cluster environment running on GFS2 + CTDB + Samba. Due to some unavoidable circumstances we were forced to hard reboot the server 2 to 3 times. After the 3rd time restart, everything worked fine without any issues. But after 4 to 5 hours online, we got a trigger stating File System consistency error in one of the GFS2 partition. Hard reboot of 2 to 3 times a server, whether it affects the GFS2 file system. Is that the file system is that much sensitive. Whereas we won’t have any issues in ext3/ext4 file system earlier in related scenarios. Can anyone revert on the GFS2 consistency and its recommendation to run in production environment.
>

> Thanks
>
> Sathya Narayanan V
> Solution Architect
> M +91 9940680173 |T +91 44 42199500  | Service Desk +91 44 42199521
> SERVICE - In PRECISION IT is a PASSION
> Precision Infomatic (M) Pvt Ltd
> 22, 1st Floor, Habibullah Road, T. Nagar, Chennai - 600 017. India.
> www.precisionit.co.in
>

> This communication may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient it may be unlawful for you to read, copy, distribute, disclose or otherwise use the information contained within this communication.. Errors and Omissions may occur in the contents of this Email arising out of or in connection with data transmission, network malfunction or failure, machine or software error, malfunction, or operator errors by the person who is sending the email. Precision Group accepts no responsibility for any such errors or omissions. The information, views and comments within this communication are those of the individual and not necessarily those of Precision Group. All email that is sent from/to Precision Group is scanned for the presence of computer viruses, security issues and inappropriate content. However, it is the recipient's responsibility to check any attachments for viruses before use.

Hello Sathya,

If you are experiencing GFS2 withdraws you may be running into a bug , filesystem corruption, or both. If you have a Red Hat support contract I suggest opening a support case with Red Hat as soon as possible. When you open the support case you'll want to attach sosreports from all nodes (run the sosreport command on every node in the cluster and attach the resultant tarballs to the support case.) If you've hit a withdraw you are likely to keep hitting them and data loss or corruption is a tangible possibility; Red Hat support can help identify the source of the issue and provide relief.

If you don't have a Red Hat support contract then please reply to the thread with the kernel versions you are running on all nodes and the full withdraw message and call traces from the messages logs on the affected cluster. You'll be able to identify the withdraw easily in the logs. We'll want the withdraw messages which will include a pointer to the position in code where the error occurred and the nature of the withdraw. We'll also need the stack trace that follows the withdraw as it will allow us to understand the code path involved.

Thanks,
Adam

--
Adam Drew