[Linux-cluster] Cluster with shared storage on low budget

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Tue Feb 15 16:17:03 UTC 2011

Jeff Sturm wrote:
> [...]

Seems labour and downtime intensive to me. Maybe I'm just used to
environments where that is an unacceptable tradeoff vs. £40/TB for storage.

Not to mention that it makes you totally reliant on SAN level
redundancy, which I also generally deem unacceptable except on very high
end SANs that have mirroring features.

Additionally, considering you can self-build a multi-TB iSCSI SAN for a
few hundred £/$/€ which will have volume growing ability (use sparse
files for iSCSI volumes and write a byte to a greater offset), I cannot
really see any justification whatsoever for using LVM with SAN based
storage.

> Haven't tried DRBD yet but I'm really tempted... it sounds like it has
> come a long way since its modest beginnings.

Not sure how far back you are talking about but I have been using it in
production in both active-active and active-passive configurations since
at least 2007 with no problems. From the usage point of view, the
changes have been negligible.

Gordan