[Linux-cluster] How fast can rsync be on GFS2?

Bob Peterson rpeterso at redhat.com
Sat Feb 26 03:32:31 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
| Is there any other tuning I can use to make GFS2 faster in this
| scenario? Does anyone use rsync in similar scenario, and how fast is
| file list created?

Hi Nikola,

GFS2 is mostly self-tuning.  However, we are making improvements all
the time.  The performance depends a lot on what version of GFS2 you
are running.  In general, newer is better.

On the positive side:
(1) There have been recent improvements to the DLM lock manager that
speed things up somewhat.
(2) I've got a set of patches that haven't been released yet that
should help performance for bugzilla bug 650494.
(3) I recently wrote a performance enhancement to the unlink code.
All three of these patches have been posted to the public cluster-devel
mailing list and are in different stages finding their way to the kernels.

On the negative side:
Some people have reported some more performance problems that we're
currently investigating (haven't solved yet).

Regards,

Bob Peterson
Red Hat File Systems