Re: [Linux-cluster] What is the current recommendation conc erning shutting down a cluster node?

On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 13:51:21 -0500, Digimer <linux alteeve com> wrote:
On 01/06/2011 01:00 PM, Hofmeister, James (WTEC Linux) wrote:
umount gfs
service rgmanager stop
service gfs stop
service clvmd stop
service cman stop

This is my method. However, note that stopping GFS unmounts the volumes,
so you can skip the manual unmount.

Being a Fedora 14 user (at this point), rebooting the cluster node(s) with shutdown -r|h now has been working fine for me since transitioning to F14 (should be the same cluster stack as what RHEL 6 uses now, I believe)

Migrating any rgmanager services off of the node I'm bringing down first seems to be required (httpd/apache is pretty slow at shutting down and thus causes my shutdown -r generated umount of the gfs|gfs2 file systems to fail)

// Thomas

PS: is there a specific reason why the GFS/GFS2 service shutdown option doesn't do something akin to "fuser -k" for the mountpoints in order to kill off any processes that would cause the umount to fail? Yes it's brutal, and certain databases would be a little unhappy, but I'd argue any db shutdown script that doesn't stall until the DB is actually down are buggy by definition.