[Linux-cluster] RHCS resource agent: status interval vs. monitorinterval

Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de
Fri Jul 29 05:57:01 UTC 2011

I'm not sure and may be wrong.
But to my understanding the "monitor" action adheres to the OCF
RA API
http://www.linux-ha.org/doc/dev-guides/_resource_agent_actions.ht
ml
while the status action seems to be purely RHCS specific.
I assume they chose "status" to stay in tradition with the LSB
init scripts' invocation parameters.
So on an RHCS cluster "status" should apply.

Inbar
> Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 11:39 PM
> To: linux-cluster at redhat.com
> Subject: [Linux-cluster] RHCS resource agent: status interval
> vs. monitorinterval
>
> In the <actions> section of a RHCS resource agent's meta-data,
> there are nodes for both action name="status" and action
> name="monitor".
> Both of them have an interval and a timeout.  For example, in
ip.sh:

>         <!-- Checks to see if the IP is up and (optionally)
> the link is
>              working -->
>         <action name="status" interval="20" timeout="10"/>
>         <action name="monitor" interval="20" timeout="10"/>
>
>         <!-- Checks to see if we can ping the IP address
locally -->
>         <action name="status" depth="10" interval="60"
timeout="20"/>
>         <action name="monitor" depth="10" interval="60"
timeout="20"/>

> I assume that one of them controls how often rgmanager runs the
> resource agent to check the resource status, but which one, and
> what's the point of the other one?
>
> I tried to find the answer in:
>   https://fedorahosted.org/cluster/wiki/ResourceActions
>
> http://www.opencf.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/specs/ra/