Re: [Linux-cluster] defragmentation.....

Steven Whitehouse wrote:

The thing to check is what size the extents are...

filefrag doesn't show this.

the on-disk layout is
designed so that you should have a metadata block separating each data
extent at exactly the place where we would need to read a new metadata
block in order to continue reading the file in a streaming fashion.

That means on a 4k block size filesystem, the data extents are usually
around 509 blocks in length, and if you see a number of these with
(mostly) a single metadata block between them (sometimes more if the
height of the metadata tree grows) then that is the expected layout.

4k*509 = 2024k - most of these files are 800-1010k (there isn't a file on this FS larger than 2Mb)

I've just taken one directory (225 entries, all 880-900k), copied each file and moved the copy back to the original spot.

Filefrag says they're now 1-3 extents (50% 1 extent, 30% 2 extents)

This filesystem is 700G and was originally populated in a single rsync pass.

/dev/mapper/VolGroupBeast03-LogVolSarch01--GFS2
                      700G  660G   41G  95% /stage/sarch01

Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/VolGroupBeast03-LogVolSarch01--GFS2
                     13072686 2542375 10530311   20% /stage/sarch01

I'd understand if the last files written were like this, but it's right across the entire FS.