[Linux-cluster] Fencing Issues: fence_node fails but fence_ipmilan works

Manish Kathuria mkathuria at tuxtechnologies.co.in
Mon Jun 6 15:13:32 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 7:22 PM, Martinez-Sanchez, Raul
<RMartinez-Sanchez at nds.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I had a similar issue on an IBM M3 system although it was on a rhel5u6. The
> way we got it fix was by changing the ipmilam configuration
> *location*(attribute lanplus="1" in device element to fencedevice element)
> in the cluster.conf file, I am not sure if this would be relevant to you but
> just in case ….
>

> I.E.
>

> <method name="1">
> <device name="m3vgc1b-ilo" action="off"/>
> <device name="fcswitch1" port="2"/>
> <device name="fcswitch2" port="2"/>
> </method>
>
> <method name="1">
> <device name="m3vgc1a-ilo" action="off"/>
> <device name="fcswitch1" port="1"/>
> <device name="fcswitch2" port="1"/>
> </method>
>

> <fencedevice agent="fence_ipmilan" power_wait="10" ipaddr="XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX"
> lanplus="1" login="Admin" name="m3vgc1b-ilo" passwd="***"/>
> <fencedevice agent="fence_ipmilan" power_wait="10" ipaddr="XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX"
> lanplus="1" login="Admin" name="m3vgc1a-ilo" passwd="***"/>
>

> Regards,
>

> Raúl Martínez Sánchez
>

> Please give me the cluster.conf file
>
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 2:53 PM, Manish Kathuria
> <mkathuria at tuxtechnologies.co.in> wrote:
>
> I am facing a strange problem configuring a two node cluster using
> RHCS 4.8. Both nodes are HP Proliant DL 180 G6 servers using HP LO
> 100i (IPMI Based).
>
> When I run the fence_node command to check the fence device
> configuration for either of the nodes, it fails giving the following
> message in the logs:
>
> fence_node[nnnn]: Fence of "node1" was unsuccessful
> fence_node[nnnn]: Fence of "node2" was unsuccessful
>
> However, when I run the fence_impilan command using the same
> credentials, it executes successfully and is able to switch on, off
> and reboot the nodes. The cluster configuration for the fence devices
> is:
>
> IPMI Lan Type
> Name:           lo1
> IP Address:     172.16.1.x
> Login           admin
> Password        passone
> Auth Type       password
>
> Name:           lo2
> IP Address:     172.16.1.y
> Login           admin
> Password        passtwo
> Auth Type       password
>
> I have already tried different options for Auth Type (blank, password,
> md5). Have also tried using / not using lanplus for both the fence
> devices in the Manage Fencing dialog without success.
>
> Any suggestions ?

Thanks for the tip, I will try that out. Another interesting thing
which I discovered subsequently was that the nodes were being fenced
by the cluster during testing and its just the command fence_node
which fails to execute giving the error message mentioned in the
initial mail. Quite surprising.

--
Manish