[Linux-cluster] Node without fencing method, is it possible to failover from such a node?

Parvez Shaikh parvez.h.shaikh at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 05:25:51 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I have a red hat cluster on IBM blade center with blades being my
clusternodes and fence_bladecenter fencing agent. I have couple of resources
- IP which activate or deactivate floating IP and script which start my
server listening on this floating IP. This is a stateless server with no
shared storage requirements or any shared resources which require me to use
fancy fencing device.

Everything was working fine, when I disable ethcard of heartbeat IP or of
floating IP or pull powerplug or reboot/shutdown/halt one node, IP floats on
another node and script start my server which happily listen on this IP.
Life was good until I am now required to support cluster of nodes which are
not hosted in bladecenter but any vanilla nodes.

Now everything remains same but bladecenter fencing cant be used, and as per
my understanding since I am using red hat cluster, it requires me to use
some fence method, my first choice is to use power fencing and that only
fencing suits my application needs.

But is there any way (I know not the best and recommended but if I can live
with it) to get away with fencing and let service failover in absence of
fence devices configured for node?

Thanks,
Parvez