[Linux-cluster] What is the proper procedure to reboot a node in acluster?

Shi Jin jinzishuai at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 16:28:05 UTC 2011

Thank you all.
The problem I have is that I don't seem to be able to get out of the cluster
gracefully, even if I stop the services manually in the right order.
For example, I joined the cluster manually by starting cman, clvmd and gfs2
in the order and everything is working just fine.

Then I wanted to reboot. This time, I want to do it manually so I went to
stop the services in order.
[root at test2 ~]# service gfs2 stop
Unmounting GFS2 filesystem (/vrstorm):                     [  OK  ]
[root at test2 ~]# service clvmd stop
Signaling clvmd to exit                                    [  OK  ]
Waiting for clvmd to exit:                                 [FAILED]
clvmd failed to exit                                       [FAILED]

Somehow clvmd cannot be stopped. I still have the process running
root      2646  0.0  0.5 194476 45016 ?        SLsl 02:18   0:00 clvmd -T30

How do I stop clvmd gracefully? I am running RHEL-6.
[root at test2 ~]# uname -a
Linux test2 2.6.32-71.18.2.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Mar 2 14:17:40 EST 2011
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[root at test2 ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.0 (Santiago)

Thank you very much.

Shi

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Alvaro Jose Fernandez <
alvaro.fernandez at sivsa.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>

> Given fencing is properly configured, I think the default boot/sshutdown
> RHCS scripts should work. I too use two_node (but no clvmd) in RHEL5.5 with
> latest updates to cman and rgmanager, and a shutdown -r works well (and a
> shutdown -h too). The other node cluster daemon should log this as a node
> shutdown in /var/log/messages, and it should adjust quorum, and not trigger
> a fencing action over the other node.
>

> If one halts and poweroff via shutdown -h one of the two nodes, and then
> reboots (via shutdown -r) the surviving node, the surviving node will fence
> the other. We have power switch fencing, and it should simply suceed (making
> a power  off then a power on on the other node's outlets). Once this fencing
> suceeds, the boot sequence continues and the node assumes quorum.
>

> If later the other node is powered on, it should join the cluster without
> problems.
>

> alvaro,
>

> Hi there,
>

> I've setup a two-node cluster with cman, clvmd and gfs2. I don't use qdisk
> but had
>
> <cman expected_votes="1" two_node="1"/>
>

> I would like to know what is the proper procedure to reboot a node in the
> two-node cluster (maybe this applies for all size?) when both nodes are
> functioning fine but I just want to reboot one for some reason (for example,
> upgrade kernel). Is there a preferred/better way to reboot the machine
> rather than just running the "reboot" command as root. I have been doing the
> "reboot" command so far and it sometimes creates problems for us, including
>  making the other node to fail.
>

> Thank you very much.
> Shi
> --