Re: [Linux-cluster] Node without fencing method, is it possible to failover from such a node?

On 03/17/2011 01:25 AM, Parvez Shaikh wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a red hat cluster on IBM blade center with blades being my
> clusternodes and fence_bladecenter fencing agent. I have couple of
> resources - IP which activate or deactivate floating IP and script which
> start my server listening on this floating IP. This is a stateless
> server with no shared storage requirements or any shared resources which
> require me to use fancy fencing device.
> Everything was working fine, when I disable ethcard of heartbeat IP or
> of floating IP or pull powerplug or reboot/shutdown/halt one node, IP
> floats on another node and script start my server which happily listen
> on this IP. Life was good until I am now required to support cluster of
> nodes which are not hosted in bladecenter but any vanilla nodes.
> Now everything remains same but bladecenter fencing cant be used, and as
> per my understanding since I am using red hat cluster, it requires me to
> use some fence method, my first choice is to use power fencing and that
> only fencing suits my application needs.
> But is there any way (I know not the best and recommended but if I can
> live with it) to get away with fencing and let service failover in
> absence of fence devices configured for node?
> Thanks,
> Parvez

Manual fencing is not supported:
- http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/wiki/FAQ/Fencing#fence_manual2

Do you vanilla servers have IPMI (or equiv. like iLo, DRAC, etc)? If
they do, than you can use fence_ipmilan. Failing that, then I'd strongly
recommend investing is a switched PDU. All things considered, they are
not that expensive. Plus, when a node is fenced/rebooted, there is a
chance it will return to the cluster healthy.

E-Mail: digimer alteeve com
AN!Whitepapers: http://alteeve.com
Node Assassin:  http://nodeassassin.org