[Linux-cluster] Failover after partial failure because of SAN?

Jochen Schneider jochen.schneider at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 09:03:52 UTC 2011

Hi,

We are setting up a cluster for a storage application with SAN disks
managed through HA-LVM and connected through multipath. There are actually
two applications which have to run on the same node, but only one of them
needs the disk. Both of them have clients.

The question I have is what should happen when the SAN fails: Should both
applications failover to another machine (possibly after a retry) or should
the application which doesn't need the disk keep running while the other is
shut down? I'm not sure how much recovery can come out of a failover in
case of a SAN failure, if it's not both network cards of the node which are
defective or whatever.

Thanks,

  Jochen