[Linux-cluster] Ext3/ext4 in a clustered environement

Nicolas Ross rossnick-lists at cybercat.ca
Wed Nov 9 14:57:16 UTC 2011

(...)

> On some services, there are document directories that are huge, not that
> much in size (about 35 gigs), but in number of files, around one million.
> One service even has 3 data directories with that many files each.

(...)

We're leaning towards changing the file system for those document
directories (agian hierachy of, not 1 mil files per directory ;-) to ext4.

One or two question pops in my mind.

1. Can a node mount the volume read-write, while another one mount it
read-only ?

2. I curently experience intermitent high i/o contention on the volume
containing this data, the website still responds fase, but images takes more
time to load when it arrives. I highly suspects, that since it's a ton of
files spread trough out the disk, the it's the added latency of GFS that
causes my problem.

So, how will perform an ext4 files over fiber versus a local one ?