[Linux-cluster] redhat cluster running on debian 6.

Joey L mjh2000 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 11:21:43 UTC 2011

Digimer - thanks for you input - you saved me a ton of time!!!
I did look at your tutorial -- great stuff BTW.

I thought fencing was an option because I setup RH cluster about 5
years ago and I thought I did not do it then..and further in the RHEL
Cluster Administrator had points that it was optional -can not find
the url right now. but have pdf and it says:

"If a cluster node is configured to be fenced by an integrated fence
device, disable ACPI Soft-Off for
that node. Disabling ACPI Soft-Off allows an integrated fence device
to turn off a node immediately
and completely rather than attempting a clean shutdown (for example,
shutdown -h now).
Otherwise, if ACPI Soft-Off is enabled, an integrated fence device can
take four or more seconds to
turn off a node (refer to note that follows). In addition, if ACPI
Soft-Off is enabled and a node panics
or freezes during shutdown, an integrated fence device may not be able
to turn off the node. Under
those circumstances, fencing is delayed or unsuccessful. Consequently,
when a node is fenced
with an integrated fence device and ACPI Soft-Off is enabled, a
cluster recovers slowly or requires
administrative intervention to recover "

But not looking to argue this point at all - i remember that when i
did set it up it was indeed more stable like you state.
My Memory is getting old :)

About pacemaker --
Do I need fencing hardware as well ??
I just got 2 servers and a regular switch - i think it netgear.
Like I said earlier - just want the 2 boxes to back up each other.
I have mysql, apache, asterisk, dns and nfs client running on them -
can i do anything with pacemaker ??
I should mention that I am using software raid but will probably need
to change to hardware raid in near future.
I would like to use the mysql replication feature -- if possible.

thanks for your insight and help.

mjh