[Linux-cluster] GFS2 and fragmentation

Scooter Morris scooter at cgl.ucsf.edu
Tue Aug 7 22:06:24 UTC 2012

Hi All,
     We have a RedHat 6.2 cluster with 4 nodes using GFS2 for shared
filesystems.  One of the filesystems we need to share is
/var/spool/mail.  In general, with recent upgrades and improvements to
GFS2, which has been working really, really well.  We're starting to see
some significant fragmentation on files in the filesystem, though, even
after recreating the filesystem after the RHEL 6 upgrade.  My
understanding was that there were fixes in RHEL 6 that made
defragmentation un-(or less?) necessary, but we're seeing a disturbing
increase in the amount of fragmentation since the upgrade.  By the way,
we're seeing numbers in the range of 4,000-6,000 extents/GB for some of
these files, which seems a bit large.
     So, I've got two questions:

     1. At what point should we be worried about the number of extents?
     2. Are there plans for a defragmentation tool?

Thanks!

-- scooter