[Linux-cluster] Green sysadmin with question about GFS and multiple SANs

MariotheGreat useraddmario at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 19:26:10 UTC 2012

Hello all,

    I am relatively new to Linux administration and have a question.  The place I
work at purchased a NetApp SAN and the cluster is currently running with an EMC
SAN with GFS partitions shared between about 15 machines. Both SANs are fibre
channel and the cluster is RHEL 4.5.  They want to just extend the existing
shares that are getting low on space with the new SAN.  I feel like this will
work because the SAN handles RAID, CLVM presents the disks as one volume and GFS
is just the layer on top.  All important parts are separate.  Am I thinking
correctly?  Or will this possible kill my existing shares?  Should I just carve
up the new SAN and present new larger shares that are not a combination of both
SANs?