[Linux-cluster] GFS2 mounts taking a *very* long time

Scooter Morris scooter at cgl.ucsf.edu
Thu Jan 12 22:50:43 UTC 2012

Greetings all,
     We've got a 4 node cluster running RHEL 6.2.   As part of the
cluster, we've got several gfs2 filesystem.  We've often noticed that
when we reboot a single node in the cluster, the gfs2 mounts take a long
time -- eventually getting the 120 second delay messages.  When we
migrated to 6.2, the default mount script echoed the filesystem being
mounted, and we discovered that the long delays were
filesystem-dependent.  In particular, two filesystems were causing all
of the problems, both of which had >1M files in them.  We also noticed
that dlm_recoverd on one of the other nodes accumulates a lot of time
when this is happening.  Is this expected?  Are there non-ilnear
handshaking algorithms between the mounting node and the cluster that
are dependent on the number of files?

Thanks in advance!

-- scooter