[Linux-cluster] LVM not available on 2/6 clustered volumes on reboot

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Sat Jan 14 17:47:01 UTC 2012

On 01/14/2012 11:27 AM, Terry wrote:
> All of my nodes have experienced this issue but I can't determine root
> cause.  After reboot, 2/6 of my volumes are set to NOT available.  I
> either have to do a vgscan or vgchange -ay on the volume group to then
> set the LV to available.
>
> Doing an lvchange -ay before doing the vgchange or vgscan results in
> this error:
> Jan 14 10:14:25 omadvnfs01c kernel: device-mapper: table: 253:45:
> linear: dm-linear: Device lookup failed
> Jan 14 10:14:25 omadvnfs01c kernel: device-mapper: ioctl: error adding
> target to table
>
> I am sure I can hack in a vgchange or something but clvmd does a vgscan
> I believe during the startup process not sure this workaround would even
> help.  I just need to be pointed down a path to try to determine root
> cause here.
>
> Thanks!

First thing that comes to mind is that LVM is starting before the
devices are available.

Some questions;
* Do you mean clustered LVM?
* How and when is (c)lvm started?
* How and when is the backing device connected?
* What kind of cluster is this? What versions?
* What are the relevant configuration files?

--
Digimer
E-Mail:              digimer at alteeve.com
Freenode handle:     digimer
Papers and Projects: http://alteeve.com
"omg my singularity battery is dead again.
stupid hawking radiation." - epitron