[Linux-cluster] Set packet src address to a cluster-managed IP

Elliott Barrere Elliott.Barrere at mywedding.com
Mon Nov 26 19:18:54 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

I have a RHEL 5.8 cluster that manages several IP addresses (among other services).  While this works fine for "serving" content (i.e. when a client hits one of the managed IP addresses the content is delivered), I also need the server to _send_ new packets from the managed address (this is an Asterisk cluster so it sends SIP invites to clients, which are rejected unless they come from the correct IP).

I can successfully set the source address for packets by running something like this:

ip route change 10.X.X.0/24 dev eth0 src 10.X.X.10

and this solves my problem.

However, this solution is not "cluster aware", nor is it permanent across reboots.  I could write a script to update the src address after the cluster IPs are applied, but that seems like a bit of a hack.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Any advice for how to deal with it?  I can't imagine I'm the only one wanting to do this.

Cheers,
-elliott-