[Linux-cluster] Understanding Fencing

joshi dhaval d_joshi84 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 1 15:57:38 UTC 2012

Hello,

I tried to read some documents on fencing, still bit confused with technology. ( i dont want to buy any extra hardware just for fencing ).

we are using HP DL 380 G6, G7 servers at out environment, only way i can see fencing possible in my environment is HP ILO.

what is PDU ? do i need to purchase separate device to enable fencing using PDU ?

is that IPMI is same as HP ILO ?

for above hardware what you suggest are the most reliable fencing techniques i should use ?

is that cross cable connection is possible just to check hearbeats like VCS has gab and llt ?

i am panning to configure 2 nodes cluster first once i will have confidence i will move it to 4 or 5 node cluster.

Regards,
Dhaval