[Linux-cluster] Fedora 19 cluster stack and Cluster registry components

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Mon Apr 22 18:59:58 UTC 2013

On 04/22/2013 02:36 PM, Michael Richmond wrote:
> Hello,
> I am researching the new cluster stack that is scheduled to be delivered
> in Fedora 19. Does anyone on this list have a sense for the timeframe
> for this new stack to be rolled into a RHEL release? (I assume the
> earliest would be RHEL 7.)
>
> On the Windows platform, Microsoft Cluster Services provides a
> cluster-wide registry service that is basically a cluster-wide key:value
> store with atomic updates and support to store the registry on shared
> disk. The  storage on shared disk allows access and use of the registry
> in cases where nodes are frequently joining and leaving the cluster.
>
> Are there any component(s) that can be used to provide a similar
> registry in the Linux cluster stack? (The current RHEL 6 stack, and/or
> the new Fedora 19 stack.)
>
> Thanks in advance for your information,
> Michael Richmond

Hi Michael,

   First up, Red Hat's policy of what is coming is "we'll announce on
release day". So anything else is a guess. As it is, Pacemaker is in
tech-preview in RHEL 6, and the best guess is that it will be the
official resource manager in RHEL 7, but it's just that, a guess.

   As for the registry question; I am not entirely sure what it is you
are asking here (sorry, not familiar with windows). I can say that
pacemaker uses something called the CIB (cluster information base) which
is an XML file containing the cluster's configuration and state. It can
be updated from any node and the changes will push to the other nodes
immediately. Does this answer your question?

   The current RHEL 6 cluster is corosync + cman + rgmanager. It also
uses an XML config and it can be updated from any node and push out to
the other nodes.

   Perhaps a better way to help would be to ask what, exactly, you want
to build your cluster for?

Cheers

--
Digimer