[Linux-cluster] Migrate VMs between two clusters

Ralf Aumueller Ralf.Aumueller at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Apr 23 10:11:45 UTC 2013

Hello,

we have two 2-node clusters running on CentOS 6.4. Only service managed by
clusters are KVM virtual machines. Both clusters have access to an NFS-server on
which the config and storage files of the VMs reside.
Now I want to move a VM from cluster1 to cluster2 with the following approach:

On cluster1:
 Edit cluster.conf and remove vm1 config
 cman_tool version -r
 virsh migrate --live vm1 qemu+ssh://HOST1_CL2/system tcp:HOST1_CL2

(After live migration finished)

On cluster2:
 Edit cluster.conf and add vm1 config
 cman_tool version -r
 clusvcadm -e vm:vm1
  (I have autostart="0" so I need to enable the VM. Cluster-SW finds running vm1
and clustat is OK).

I tried it and it worked -- but is it save? Any comments (expect to ask why we
have two 2-node clusters :-) ) ?

Best regard,
Ralf