[Linux-cluster] Please settle a bet for me

Arpit Tolani arpittolani at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 19:50:18 UTC 2013

Hello

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 12:55 AM, Bill G. <tc3driver at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> We are having a discussion about clustering on RHEL 5.2 and 5.4.
>
> Knowing that there are no supported fence devices for VMWare 4.1 and the
> given versions of RHEL.
>
> As far as I can tell there must be a fence device for any type of automatic
> fail over, but coworkers are insisting that if a clustered process dies it
> can and will automatically start/fail over... it just won't if there is a
> hardware failure. They are also saying that you will be able to move
> processes from one node to another without fencing.
>
> I am insisting that clustering does not work without an fence device.
>
> Please settle this :)

Yes, fencing mandatory with cluster, Without fencing your cluster will
fail to work.

Refer https://alteeve.ca/w/2-Node_Red_Hat_KVM_Cluster_Tutorial#Concept.3B_Fencing

If you have Red Hat Support, Check below Kbase.
https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/solutions/15575

Even manual fencing is not supported i.e. fence_manual.

Hope that helps.

Regards
Arpit Tolani