[Linux-cluster] Oracle failover cluster, whole /u01 on shared storage?

I'm not talking about rac and/or gfs, just a plain old active/passive cluster. What's the right way to implement it? As far as I understand the easiest way is to put the whole $ORACLE_HOME on shared storage (SAN) and mount it on the active node.
But in this way I loose the chance to do "rolling updates":
Update Oracle software on node2, migrate instance to node2, update software on node1 ecc

If install Oracle software on each node and put database files on shared storage (eg. /u02) there are some files which reside inside $ORACLE_HOME anyway (spfile, listener, audit trail ecc). How do I keep them in sync? Symlinks?

Thanks
--
Cristian Mammoli
APRA SISTEMI srl