[Linux-cluster] bug in GFS2?

Pavel Herrmann morpheus.ibis at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 15:29:08 UTC 2013

Hi

On Wednesday 25 of September 2013 15:38:54 Steven Whitehouse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2013-09-25 at 16:25 +0200, Pavel Herrmann wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I am trying to build a two-node cluster for samba, but I'm having some
> > GFS2
> > issues.
> >
> > The nodes themselves run as virtual machines in KVM (on different hosts),
> > use gentoo kernel 3.10.7 (not sure what exact version of vanilla it is
> > based on), and I use the cluster-next stack in somewhat minimal
> > configuration (corosync-2 with DLM-4, no pacemaker).
> >
> > while testing my cluster (using smbtorture), everything works fine, but
> > the
> > moment I let users onto it, i get a kernel error that hangs the cluster
> > (fencing is set up and working, but doesnt kick in for some reason)
>
> I suspect that this has been fixed, but without knowing exactly what
> version of the kernel this is and what patches have been applied to the
> kernel, I'm afraid that I'm a bit in the dark. I don't think we've seen
> anything like this recently relating to type 5 glocks,

The kernel seems to be based on vanilla 3.10.7, with no additional patches
that are related to DLM or GFS2 (full list on [1]).

I could try with a newer kernel version, but since I need my users to
reproduce the bug (and they are not too happy when things break), I would
prefer not to do it just for the sake of having the latest version, if there
were no possibly-related changes introduced

thanks
Pavel Herrmann

[1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~mpagano/genpatches/patches-3.10-13.htm