[linux-lvm] Swap/DB devices

I'm in the process of re-jigging all the file systems to sit in volume
groups.

Two questions :-

a) Can I setup swap to run from a volume group is it a good idea?

b) I have  database devices running in cooked file systems for Oracle,
Sybase and Informix.

Vendor recommendations for sybase and Informix are normally raw, here we
carve our database devices from HP volume groups is this a good idea for
linux?

Anybody done this?

mja