[linux-lvm] LVM in stock kernel!?

Shane Shrybman shane at zeke.yi.org
Thu Aug 26 17:33:40 UTC 1999

Hi Everyone !

We do not want LVM to miss the 2.4 bandwagon! It sounds like Jonny B.'s
idea of a petition is the best course of action, (I have not heard any
other suggestions). This petition should include a concise list of the
pros and cons of including LVM in the kernel, and a list of people who
agree with these points.

Before we submit our petition, we should have a LVM that works with the
2.3 series. Heinz, what is the status on this and a 0.8 release?

Here is my list of pros and cons.

PROS
- LVM is almost a necessity when managing large amounts of storage.
- Many unix people think that storage layout is one of the most difficult
aspects of maintaining a system. LVM simply makes storage management much
more flexible by allowing storage to be reallocated easily at anytime.
- Folks coming to Linux from other UNIXes which use an LVM (HP, AIX etc..)
will be familiar and comfortable with LVM concepts and will more readily
embrace the penguin.
- The "out of storage space" is a very common problem for users especially
new users. LVM makes resizing allocated space easier. This is perhaps the
most common problem I here about from new users.
- LVM is not a new concept and has been proven to be indispensible in
other OSes, (ie. It is not just some hair-brained scheme that just makes
things harder to learn and more complicated).

CONS
- Using LVM is by definition adding a another logical layer for storage.
Users not already familiar with an LVM will have to do some learning, or
not use LVM.

Comments ?

Please feel free to edit and add your own points!

Shane