[linux-lvm] Kernel Traffic...

Daniel Whicker heimdall at mail.org
Tue Dec 7 13:27:32 UTC 1999

For those that may have missed it, Kernel Traffic #45 had a short blurb on LVM:
http://kt.linuxcare.com/

1999/11/19 - 21 (17 posts): Re: Announce: LVM Patch against kernel 2.3.28
David Weinehall asked when LVM (Logical Volume Manager) would be folded
into the Linus tree. He opined, "this is imho one of the most important
things to go into the kernel, from an enterprise point of view." Ulrik De
Bie replied that patches had been sent to Linus, but had not been
acknowledged. Ulrik guessed Linus was pretty busy lately. Heinz Mauelshagen
also said Linus had received it several times but had not replied. He
suggested that maybe some noise from David would make a difference.
Christopher Horn asked if anyone knew any reason why LVM should not be
folded into the kernel, and said wistfully, "It would be a blessing,
especially if the journaling Ext2 or Reiserfs stuff was also folded into
2.4 as well. The lack of a LVM and a JFS have unfortunately kept any
serious Linux use out of our shop for a while now."
Hans Reiser replied, "I think that if you use the SuSE kernel you'll get a
nicely patched well supported LVM for which we are developing a reiserfs
resizer which SuSE will also support. (SuSE is a sponsor for ReiserFS.) I
expect that LVM will eventually make it into the kernel, all of the FS
developers that I know of for Linux have recommended that Linus add it. If
you use a SuSE patched kernel you'll just get it somewhat earlier is all."
Alan also replied to Christopher, saying, "I can see LVM getting into a
standard kernel but not really ext3 (journalling ext2) or reiserfs. Ext3
adds stuff to the buffer cache behaviour that needs further figuring for
2.3.x to make Linus happy. Reiserfs exports half of the buffer cache into
itself and includes extra C files in fs/buffer.c and has similar questions
to solve. There is also a problem that right now neither ext3 or reiserfs
can journal over software raid."
Hans and Alan had a bit of respectful dispute over the problems of
reiserfs, in which Alan said things like, "I'm not blaming anyone for it.
Someone asked for a state of play," and Hans said things like, "It's your
decision to make and I respect it."

									-Daniel