[linux-lvm] LVM, raw-io, devfs

Daniel Whicker heimdall at mail.org
Sun Oct 3 13:06:22 UTC 1999

At 02:43 AM 10/3/99 , Harald Milz wrote:
>Drew Smith <drew at winterland.mainland.ab.ca> wrote:
>
> >       IBM's ADSM(*) (well, TSM now, thanks to Tivoli) uses raw logical
> > volumes on a fairly native level as storage pools, etc.  I'm curious,
> > having never looked into raw IO under Linux, whether it's the same
> > principles - and, that said, whether or not IBM will be porting the TSM
> > server to Linux?

   This is a bit off topic, buy hey.  ADSM (TSM) actually gives you the
option of using either files or raw i/o.  I don't see that there would be
any problems with a Linux port of the server.  They could simply disable
the ability to use raw i/o for your disk storage pools, log volumes, and db
volumes.  What may pose a problem is the amount of disk space required for
a significant ADSM server.  If you're looking at a half terabyte or more of
disks, you may run into the limit of Linux major/minor numbers for SCSI
disks.  (Btw: I'm unclear on whether the devfs patch resolves this?)
									-Daniel