[linux-lvm] question about lvm

Andrew Sutton ansutton at sep.com
Thu Sep 2 14:42:19 UTC 1999

i'm not really certain if this is the appropriate place to air a
question about lvm problems, but since i couldn't find any other
documented support - i figured i'd just go to the source.

i'm fairly new at using lvm (yesterday) so this is probably just a
newbie question... anyway, i installed lvm, rebuilt my kernel (with lvm
in the kernel), compiled the utilities, the whole thing. i then
proceeded to drop 2 pv's into a volume group (vda) and allocate one
logical volume (lvol1) consisting of all my disk space. and it worked
(at which point i was ecstatic). so i built an ext2fs on the lv and
mounted it, and again it worked fine. i then put a line in my fstab to
mount it on boot, and rebooted.

when the machine came back up, the drive was not mounted. when i tried
mounting it by hand, i kept getting a "/dev/vda/lvol1 is not a valid
block driver" error. using some of the lvm utils, i uncovered the fact
that the entire volume group was "inactive".

i'm not entirely certain what went wrong or where, but i couldn't find
any documentation about this particular problem. does anybody have any
idea where i might have gone wrong?

thanks in advance,

Andrew Sutton
	ansutton at sep.com