Re: [linux-lvm] LVM and inactive snapshots.

> Given the above I'm curious as to how others view this behaviour.  I'm
> thinking along the lines of:  If the snapshot goes inactive and it's
> portrayal of the filesystem is no longer valid it should go away. Go away
> meaning, if an inactive snapshot volume is currently mounted possibly we
> should forcefully unmount it as well as cleaning up it's device node
> entries and removing it as a block device.
> Does that seem proper?

No. The kernel should not unmount because this may cause
confusion and possibly corruption of user mode information
(eg. /etc/mtab).

If a snapshot is dead the kernel could simply return an error
(EIO?) for any access to the snapshot (which no longer exists).
So the bahaviour would be well defined.

Michael Marxmeier           Marxmeier Software AG
E-Mail: mike msede com      Besenbruchstrasse 9
Phone : +49 202 2431440     42285 Wuppertal, Germany
Fax   : +49 202 2431420     http://www.msede.com/