[linux-lvm] Upgrade path from 0.8i to 0.9?

Torsten Landschoff torsten at pclab.ifg.uni-kiel.de
Sat Dec 16 17:48:49 UTC 2000

Hi *,

We are planning to upgrade a production server tomorrow. As we have to
build a new kernel anyway I would like to upgrade the LVM code from 0.8i
to 0.9.

I just tried the same thing on a test system and I was unable to get it
working. After installing the new kernel I installed the lvm Debian
package from sistina.com (which removed /etc/lvmtab and /etc/lvmtab.d)
and tried to reactivate the volumes. This is what I get:

pulsar:~# vgscan -v
vgscan -- removing "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d"
vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
vgscan -- scanning for all active volume group(s) first
vgscan -- found inactive volume group "test"
vgscan -- reading data of volume group "test" from physical volume(s)
vgscan -- ERROR "vg_read_with_pv_and_lv(): allocated LE of LV" can't get data of volume group "test" from physical volume(s)
vgscan -- ERROR "vg_read_with_pv_and_lv(): allocated LE of LV" creating "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d"

Is there a way to upgrade to LVM 0.9 or should I just reapply the old LVM 0.8i
patches to 2.2.18 (which works fine)?

Thanks

	Torsten