[linux-lvm] 0.9 tools compatible with 0.8 kernel? (and vice versa)

Paul Jakma paul at clubi.ie
Sat Dec 23 17:58:31 UTC 2000

On Thu, 21 Dec 2000, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> No.

eek.

> Yes, that's why we have been discussing all of the "LVM user tools wrappers"

ah, i tuned out out of that one cause i thought it was to do with
debian packaging.

> issues here over the last week.  With the current setup, you can't even
> _install_ multiple versions of the LVM tools at the same time, let alone
> have a single version handle multiple protocols.

ehhmm.. problem.

on-disk LVM isn't touched though, right? so it's just a tools issue,
right? ie, booting lvm 0.9 isn't going to leave me with on-disk
structures that 0.8 would barf on?

> Try out Marcelo's latest LVM user tools install, which is really required
> before trying to update your system, as it allows multiple versions of
> user tools to be installed and work well.  Also keep a boot floppy with the
> LVM 0.8 and LVM 0.9 tools available in case of trouble, if you don't have
> an emergency non-LVM boot partition.

my root is non-lvm. i think what'll do is remove the LVM v0.9 update
from t13pre4 and see how well it works wrt to the issues i had with
t12, before committing to upgrading lvm.

how stable is 0.9 compared to 0.8.1? (guess i should have paid more
attention to this list).

> rpm http://distro.conectiva.com.br/experimental/

excellent. thanks!

> Cheers, Andreas