Re: [linux-lvm] Configuring boot partition with LVM

On Mon, Feb 07, 2000 at 10:37:19AM +0100, Fabian Herschel suse de wrote:
> At this point of time lilo is not ready to boot a kernel fom a lv. Lilo
actually you can, if you play tricks with your partition table :)
but being real, you will need to move vgscan into kernel space.

> should also learn how to boot a kernel fom a striped volume...
this seems impossible to me, unless you add a boot area
to the VG structure.
lilo is a multi stage boot process
a small 512-byte loader is placed in the mbr
this loader then loads lilo itself from the disk
now if you want a striped vg for /boot
you must also find somewere to store the second stage boot loader.
and it must be possible to load it from a 512-byte program.

L.

--
Luca Berra -- bluca comedia it
    Communication Media & Services S.r.l.