[linux-lvm] Library strangeness

Michael Marxmeier mike at msede.com
Wed Feb 9 01:40:36 UTC 2000

James Pattinson wrote:
> I think this could be the offending line, from tools/Makefile:
>
> XLINKER = -Xlinker -rpath $(TOP)/tools/lib -Xlinker -rpath /lib -Xlinker

I agree that the default option in the tools/Makefile should be
linking with /lib/liblvm.so.

The additional rpath is helpful during development but as LVM
is now delving in a user environment  this should no longer be the
default option.

> Perhaps -rpath $(TOP)/tools/lib needs to be /after/ the rest?

No. This defeats the purpose: Build a new library and have all
tools use it (overriding the installed one) without having to
install a development library.

The -rpath $(TOP)/tools/lib should not be part of the default
build options.

Michael

--
Michael Marxmeier           Marxmeier Software AG
E-Mail: mike at msede.com      Besenbruchstrasse 9