Re: [linux-lvm] Can we make char files not blocked for the volumes

"Stephen C. Tweedie" wrote:
Hi,

On Sat, 19 Feb 2000 07:08:29 -0600, Chris Anderson <chris alwan com> said:

> Heinz Mauelshagen wrote:
>> Please have a look at the rawio support for Linux.

> Where can I find this?  In the kernel?  Any help would be great.

2.3 has it, and there are 2.2 patches on

ftp://ftp.uk.linux.org/pub/linux/sct/fs/raw-io

Thanks.  I used the link and download the files.

 It is odd how it is used.  I had to hack it into 2.2.14, but go it working.  I think the "raw" command is odd, also it needs to be run every time you reboot.  Also who is the owner of this code. How does it find its way into the standard 2.3 and lvm has not yet?  That is odd too.

My test with Informix IDS 7.3 for linux showed that the raw io is twice as slow.  A 17 mins load under block device using lvm but took 31mins for the raw linked version.  I will be testing the Informix 9.2 version tonight.  I could not find much doc from informix other then the device need to be char/raw.

Anyone using raw out there?  Did you find that you must call raw at reboot to link back?  Who is the owner of the code?  What are the next step for the raw code? Any thing would be great?

Thanks,

   Chris Anderson

It comes with all recent Red Hat and SuSE distributions as standard,
btw.  I'm not sure about other distributions (anyone know?)

--Stephen