[linux-lvm] LVM seems to break tar and cp "stay-local" options

While LVM'ising my system, i wanted to copy my root fs over. I had a small
root, with most stuff like /usr, /home and /var on LVM volumes and mounted
on /. I tried tar with it's "stay on local filesystem" (-l iirc) however, it
started to copy /home to my temporary mount aswell. I tried with cp -ax, and
it too did failed to recognise /home as being on a different fs to /.

This was on RH6/Alpha.

regards,

Paul Jakma.