[linux-lvm] [Fwd: boot from lvm volume]

Michael Marxmeier mike at msede.com
Sat Jul 8 08:31:54 UTC 2000

Forwarded message from Michael Nittmann <corporate at ncincwi.com>

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: boot from lvm volume
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2000 00:07:03 -0500
From: Michael Nittmann <corporate at ncincwi.com>
To: linux-lvm-approval at msede.com

Is it yet possible to boot from an LVM volume?
A big advantage of LVM is the live resizing of volumes. Especially
after
installing I would like to collapse / and have as many directories in
fact as file systems on LVMs as possible.
The big advantage is a very fast recovery time, and also a quick
change
of the kernel, e.g. keeping all /etc config files in place (production
/etc/ mounted over sysgen /etc after sysgen/etc is merged into
production /etc).
I like also mirrored / .

Is anyone working on a logical volume manager that supports Raid 1-5?
(well, raid0 is the lvm itself, concatenation across physical media).

I am not on the list, please copy me in.

Thanks

Mike

Michael Nittmann, President/CEO                 Voice/FAX
(715)552-8755
NCinc, Inc.
Corporate at NCincWI.com
P.O. Box 466                         We make your
Eau Claire, WI 54702-0466               NetWork
www.ncincwi.com
.... now also with Internet access, see our special
www.ncincwi.net
     at www.ncincwi.com, click on 'Internet Access'

We do not accept unsolicited commercial promotional messages via
email.
We welcome promotional material and offers sent via USPS. If you chose
to use our systems to transport, store and deliver your promotional
materials and messages, then you have to pay us for the use of our
resources. See www.ncincwi.com and look at SPAM/UCE Fee Schedules.
We report all unauthorized use of our systems, which includes sending
commercial promotions through our lines, our storage and computing
resources, to the authorities as unauthorized use of computer
equipment.

We do not allow any unsolicited promotions of Adult, X-rated,
or other offending material to be sent to our systems or employees.