[linux-lvm] How do I remove a physical volume

PATTERSON,ANDREW (HP-Loveland,ex2) andrew_patterson at hp.com
Fri Jun 2 18:58:26 UTC 2000

I am doing some development with liblvm and need the capability to remove a
physical volume (so I can then recreate it later as part of testing).  There
doesn't seem be a "pvremove" command or equivalent library call, so I have
resorted to the following brute
force method:

  1. Remove the physical volume from a the volume group
  2. Deactivate the volume
  3. Write arbitrary data to the partition to trash the private volume
record

Is it safe to do this?  Is there a better way?  Should there be a pvremove
command?

Thanks,

Andrew Patterson
Hewlett-Packard