[linux-lvm] performance problems

We are using LVM on a (hardware) RAID array and are
having some performance problems.  File copying is
very slow and one of the guys using it reported that
untarring was very sluggish, and he got I/O errors.
Is this a known problem?  I believe we are using 0.8i
and we are using 2.2.13 kernel.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Chris