[linux-lvm] vgscan fails to find vg

i'm trying to convert my old mandrake 6.0 system to lvm, using a
2.4.0test kernel, lvm-0.8final and devfs, and i'm having a hard time
getting my rc scripts to work. on bootup, vgscan fails to find the vg
for no reason i can think of.

i'm working around this with the kludge of vgexport on shutdown and
vgimport on bootup, which works, but just doesn't seem right. i've got a
32KB debug output file of vgscan failing; what would be the best way of
submitting it to whom?