Re: [linux-lvm] IBM to release LVM Technology to the Linux Community

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000 benr us ibm com wrote:

>My understanding of what is in 2.4-latest is that you do indeed have the
>stacking of multiple block translation modules, but the implementation of
>this is not as flexible or integrated as what we have described in the
>white paper.   Please correct me if I am wrong!

raid0 is fully integrated into the LVM into 2.4.0-test1-ac19. While
allocating a logical volume you can choose to allocate the physical space
from different physical devices and to stripe onto them in raid0.

For raid1/5 you're right: they are not integrated into the current LVM but
they instead live in a separate layer (MD) (and running LVM on top of MD
is more expensive for the CPU and less flexible for the sysadm than if
raid1/5 would be lvm plugins).

Andrea