Re: [linux-lvm] Re: IBM to release LVM Technology to the Linux

After seeing a few comments left by various users on this subject, I
would like to throw in my two cents that from an "admin" perspective,
this type of effort from a major vendor can only be a good thing.
However, just like anyone else who has watched the "major"
vendors(Compaq, HP, IBM) embrace Microsoft in the early 1990's, I
begin to wonder what the goal is with this project.  Is IBM's
implementation of LVM going to remain free(gasp!), or is the goal to
start beta testing on Linux now only to offer LVM at a premium price
later?  LVM solutions that are offered by IBM, SUN, and HP are all
excellent!  However, you pay for them big time when you start getting
into advanced volume management issues.  I have looked over the
datasheet that your website provides and am impressed with what you
are doing technically. What I am curious about is what will happen
once your implementation evolves to a "production ready" status.  I
guess what I am more or less asking is, am I wasting my time following
IBM's implementation of LVM due to the fact that once it does leave
the development stage I will end up paying thousands of dollars per
seat for it?

Thoughts?

- Christopher Briggs
  consult unixadministrator com

> > Another thing to remember is that users want power without risk.
This is
> > especially true in the corporate world.  To make it there, Linux
needs a
> > very powerful, flexible logical volume management system which
minimizes
> > the risk of losing data.  This calls for an architecture which
integrates
> > all aspects of volume/disk management into a single, easy to use
entity.
> > All processes which could be automated should be automated to
prevent
> > "accidents", such as the improper shrinking of a volume containing
data.
> > Right now it is rather easy to accidentally shrink a volume before
> > shrinking the filesystem on the volume, or to shrink the
filesystem on the
> > volume by the wrong amount.  Is fdisk volume group aware (have not
tried
> > this yet)?  If it isn't, a user could make a mistake and delete a
partition
> > which belongs to a volume group.  The current system has holes in
it, and
> > these holes need to be plugged before Linux can be a major player
in the
> > corporate world.  These holes can be plugged in a patch work
fashion, or
> > they can be eliminated by adopting an architecture (not
necessarily the one
> > in the white paper) in which they don't exist or can't occur.
>
> % man e2fsadm
>
> DESCRIPTION
>        e2fsadm allows resizing of a logical volume  (see  lvm(8),
>        lvcreate(8))  containing  an unmounted ext2 filesystem and
>        then extending the filesystem by  resize2fs(8)  afterwards
>        or  reducing  the  filesystem  first and then reducing the
>        logical volume afterwards.
>
> First thing is Linux-LVM is still evolving and will only get better.
Now IBM