[linux-lvm] Re: IBM to release LVM Technology to the Linux

benr at us.ibm.com benr at us.ibm.com
Fri Jun 23 21:04:01 UTC 2000

Christopher,

Welcome to the discussion!  To answer your question, if the Linux Community
is interested in the LVMS outlined in the white paper, then IBM will
release code (under the GPL!) to begin moving this technology to Linux.  I
suspect that IBM will also dedicate some resources to assist in moving this
technology to Linux as that will expedite the process.  Right now, though,
we are trying to educate the Linux Community about our LVMS Architecture so
that the Linux Community can make an informed decision as to whether they
want this technology or not.  Of course, we hope they do - the technology
has many benefits.  However, I would like to say that a decision by the
Linux Community to accept this technology does not mean that the current
LVM will be discarded.  This is not an either/or decision.  While the LVMS
solves certain problems for IBM and its customers, IBM and its customers
are not the only users of Linux.  I suspect that many users coming from the
UNIX world to Linux will be more comfortable using the current LVM because
it is based upon the standard UNIX approach to logical volume management.
Similarly, users coming from the DOS/Windows/OS2 world to Linux will
probably be more comfortable using the LVMS as that employs many of the
concepts that they are already familiar with.  Thus, I think that there is
a place for both the current LVM and the LVMS.  Looking down the road, I
see both the current LVM and the LVMS co-existing for a period of time,
with development on each continuing, with each adopting the best ideas of
the other.  Eventually, I see them merging in some fashion. but when this
occurs and what the final result is, is beyond the ability of my crystal
ball to see.  The one thing I can see, though, is that whatever the final
result is, it will be open source and under the GPL! :-)

Regards,

Ben

hpuxadm at choice.net@msede.com on 06/23/2000 07:52:00 am

Sent by:  owner-linux-lvm at msede.com